2014 British Junior Squad – Training & Selection
The International Surfing Association have announced that the 2014 World Junior Surfing Games will be held ‘somewhere’ in Ecuador, ‘Sometime’ in April 2014. With the conclusion of the 2013 surfing season happening at the British Nationals at Fistral Beach Newquay on the 1-3rd November, the training and selection for the British Junior Squad will be as follows.
- Following the completion of the British Nationals the ranking from the UK Pro Surf Tour will be used to select the top 6 surfers in the Under 18 Boys and Under 16 boys divisions.
- The rankings will be used to select the top 3 girls in the Under 18 Girls and Under 16 Girls divisions.
- In the Under 16 boys & Under 18 boys divisions, there will be two additional wild card spots available for surfers who have not been able to qualify from their ranking.
- In the Under 16 Girls and Under 18 girls divisions, there will be one additional wildcard spot available for surfers who have not been able to qualify from their ranking.
- The ranking points from the Scottish & Welsh Nationals will be included in the final rankings to accommodate for any surfers who were unable to compete in the English Nationals (which was a UK Pro Surf Tour event).
- This will complete the squad of 24 surfers (18 from rankings, plus 6 wildcards)
The 24 man squad will be invited to attend a week long training camp at the Portugal High Performance Surfing Centre at Playa Viana. The camp will be held from 15th – 22nd February 2014 and will consist of training with the coaching team as well as friendly competition against Portugal and Spanish junior surfers.
In addition to the training camp, there will be one UK training weekend in March (Date and location to be confirmed) which will be the final meeting of the squad before the travel team is selected before heading out to Ecuador.
The travel team will be made up of 5 surfers from the Under 18 & Under 16 boys divisions and 3 surfers from the Under 18 & Under 16 girls divisions. This will comprise of a travel team of 16 surfers in total. There will be one additional surfer in each division to act as a reserve surfer at the event. The training of the team will continue once at the contest location in Ecuador and the surfers that will go on to compete for Team GB in the games will be announce the day before registration with the ISA while out in Ecuador.
Team Selection Criteria
The team will be selected from the squad based on the following criteria.
1 – Performance and ranking on the 2013 UK Pro Surf Tour.
2 – Performance and attitude throughout the Portugal training camp.
3 – Performance and attitude at final UK training weekend.
The best way to guarantee a chance of being selected for the team is to try and engage in the selection process as much as possible. However, Surfing GB recognizes that there may be instances where surfers are unable to attend some of the training events. In this scenario, surfers will be able to submit a recent video of their surf training and performance to act as evidence for the selection panel.
The wildcard spots are available to any surfer who holds a British Passport but wasn’t able to compete on the UK Pro Surf Tour enough to secure the ranking points required to get an automatic invitation onto the British Squad.
To secure a wildcard spot, surfers will be required to submit a short video of their surfing plus a list of any 2013 contest results. The contest results must contain the details of the organization running the event plus the contact information of the contest director to act as a reference.
All applications should be sent to email@example.com before January 1st 2014.
If you have any questions or you would like further information regarding the British Junior Squad, please send me an email. Good luck to everyone competing in the Nationals this weekend.